When the Highway Department is in the process of cutting trees and brush please do not stop to gather wood. Please wait until the crew has left the area so there is no danger to yourself or the crew.
Wood that is cut by the highway department is available to the public. If the wood is on the lawn of the house adjacent please ask the home owner if they approve of your taking the wood.
The highway department will post on the home page, where tree cutting will be done. Please use caution in these areas until the crew has cleared the area.
Description of Services
The Highway department is made up of one superintendent, one secretary, one foreman, six laborers/truck drivers and one mechanic. There are two divisions which includes the highway and fleet maintenance. The Highway Department maintains all public way totaling approximately 72 road miles. We also clean and repair over 1000 catch basins and drop inlets manholes throughout the town. Other maintenance activities include:
- Planning and maintenance of 72 road miles.
- Sidewalk and curb installation and repair
- Tree , roadside Brush cutting and grass maintenance.
- Street sweeping
- Roadway paving and maintenance.
- Pothole repairs.
- Drainage construction, repair and maintenance
- Snow and Ice removal during the winter months.
- Response to resident calls and concerns.
- Fleet maintenance of town vehicles.
- Manage and maintain gas and diesel for town vehicles.
The fleet maintenance department is responsible for the maintenance of all town vehicles and machinery, including Highway, Council on Aging, Cemetery/Parks, Board of Assessors and the Board of Health.
See map: Google Maps